• Author
      BrianK
      Participant

3.7 SRM
      5.9 IBU
      1.050 OG
      1.010 FG

GRAINS:
      4.5 lbs 2 row (or pilsner if you want to be traditional, adjust boil to 90 minutes)
      4 lbs white wheat malt
      1 lb flaked wheat
      .5 lb acidulated malt

YEAST:
      1 pouch of gigayeast fast souring lacto
      2 packs US05
      yeast nutrients of choice (don’t leave this out, the acidic wort is a tough environment for sacchromyces)

HOPS:
      1 oz German Mandarina Bavaria @ 5 (second boil)

OTHER:
      10 grams of salt Adjust to taste before bottling/kegging, I love a salty margarita. I think the batch I brought to the meeting had 14 grams
      3 oz of tequila (secondary)
      750 mL of triple secn (secondary)
      zest of 3 limes and one orange at flameout (second boil)
      a small amount of coriander (this is a gose after all)

Single infusion mash at 152 for 60 minutes. Sparge and boil for 10 minutes. Chill to 100 to 110 degrees. Adjust PH to 4.5 with lactic acid. I use a 6.5 gallon carboy and fill it as full as I can so I still end up with 5 gallons of beer post boil/fermentation. Flood fermentation vessel with CO2 and rack wort into it. Pitch lacto and flood with CO2 again before attaching airlock. For more in depth info on this process, head over to sourbeerblog.com and check out the articles “fast souring with lactobacillus” and “brewing a gose” if you haven’t already. The REALLY important things here are PH 4.5 and as little oxygen as possible. Hold temp at 100 degrees until desired sourness is reached. This is usually 3 or 4 days for me with 4 days being extremely sour. The gigayeast lacto is heterofermentative so it produces both lactic acid and alcohol. It will also krausen like a motherfucker, so use a blow off tube if possible. With a heterofermentative strain of lacto, a post sour boil (which boils off any alcohol produced), and a secondary addition of triple sec (all sugars will ferment adding approximately 1% ABV), this recipe was designed to give you a 5% ABV beer.
      When the desired level of sourness is reached, boil as usual and add hops, zest, nutrients etc. Rehydrate and pitch your yeast. Ferment for 7 days and then rack to secondary with 750 mL of triple sec and 3 oz of tequila (don’t skimp on this, use something nice and smooth). Sample before bottling or kegging and add salt to taste. I

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.