Thoughts on this porter?

Home Forums Brewing Topics Beer, Recipes, & Member Brews Thoughts on this porter?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Scott Wilson
      Participant

Hey sons! We’re planning a porter that we want to so soon, but have available for around the holidays, so I figured I’d post it here and get some feed back on the recipe and pick the groups brain before we brew it. It is… 10lbs of marris otter , 1ln brown malt, 1lb Choco wheat, 1/2 lb crystal 60 and a third of a lb black patent. We we’re going to use Nelson got the hops 1oz at 60, and .50 at 10 and 0. Mash on the high side at 156. What do you think? This recipe is not set in stone, and will likely be scaled up to a ten gallon batch. Thoughts? Cheers! Scott

BrianK
      Participant

Everything looks to be good except for maybe the black patent. If it was me, I might consider dropping it. I still haven’t brewed what I would consider a really good porter, but with fall coming it’s on my list of upcoming projects. The problems I’ve had in the past have been too much dark/roasty flavors in my recipes and they kinda come out more like a stout and not quite as smooth as I think a porter should be. But it’s your beer, so ultimately it’s your decision. I like the hop choices, I look forward to trying it when it’s done.

Fran
      Participant

I think you’ll be ok using some black patent. It will be more of a robust porter. I’m curious how those hops will work with this style. I’ve been thinking of adding oats to my porter for the same reasons one adds them to a stout.

tjsopcak
      Participant

I’m liking the recipe as well but agreed with keeping an eye on the black patent. Fran, I also like the idea of using oats. If so, perhaps lightly toasting them to bring out the oaty goodness. Look forward to trying it whenever it’s ready.

Scott Wilson
      Participant

I was envisioning a malty, semi sweet easy drinker. I actually like the idea of cutting out the Black, I don’t want it to be roasty, I was thinking more sweet and biscuit-y.
      I’ve never used the brown malt, does anyone have any experience with it?

I originally did have some oats in there, and I LOVE the toasted oats idea, but was hoping the dark wheat might accomplish the same effect.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.