2/20/14 Meeting Minutes

Home Forums Club Related Topics Club Meeting Notes & Voting 2/20/14 Meeting Minutes

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      jake_kustan
      Participant

I’m going to start posting the minutes on the forum to be a little more efficient.

Club Funds
      Thanks you for the following donations:
      Ross the Boss: $10.00
      Fran: $5.00
      Mustachio (Drew): $5.00
      Half-Beard (Brian): $20.00
      Jason: $5.00
      B-rad: $3.00
      Tim: $10.00
      Jake: $5.00

This brings our total up to $225.60!

Yeast Tasting Notes
      The following were the group consensus on each strain:
      Cal Ale: Super Clean
      Cal Ale 5: Vinous
      Irish Ale: Apple (on nose), Green Apple (taste)
      English Ale: Malty, Bigger, Biscuit, Caramel
      London Ale: Sweet, Apple (subtle)
      Euro Ale: Dry, Apple
      Abbey Ale: Sulfur, Sweet
      Belgian Strong: Yeasty, Pear, Malty, Belgian
      Trappist: Plastic, Burnt Wire, Burnt Plastic, Gun Powder, Cap Gun – (suspected infection)
      Cry Havoc: Plastic (subtle), Lego’s
      Super High Gravity: Dry, Thin, Corn
      American Farmhouse Ale: Horse, Barnyard, Funk

A lot of these green apple flavors we thought were due to young beer before we realized these things have been fermenting for three weeks. I did a bit of digging and found that Palmer states a cidery or green apple flavor can not only be the product of young beer, but beer fermented too warm. Perhaps a good discussion would be how the fermentation temperature was controlled and at what temp.

Another discussion topic was if these worts were over-pitched. Pitching around 100-120 billion viable cells to 1 gallon is about 3 times the recommended rate according to White and Zainasheff.

Regards,

Jake

Heady Beer
      Participant

Here is the yeast article i mentioned at the meeting. It talks ab how differnt strands of yeast may lower the final ibu in a beer.

http://beerandwinejournal.com/yeast-strains-ibus/

I also noticed highter ferm temps can give green apple off flavors. Mayby the smaller size (one gallon compared to 5 or 6 gallon) was the issue. During primary fermentation the temp of the beer can i crease up to 10 deg. With the smaller amount of wort this temp may have really shot up during primary ferm.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.