food for meeting on 4/10

Home Forums Club Related Topics Club Meeting Notes & Voting food for meeting on 4/10

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      BrianK
      Participant

I’d like to volunteer to bring food to the meeting on Thursday. I planned on smoking a pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches and possibly a side. Both items will fall under the "cooking with beer" topic that we discussed a few meetings ago. If there are other plans, someone please let me know and I’ll reserve my project for another meeting. Otherwise bring your appetite…

Bmoyer0301
      Participant

Sounds bangin’ ! Cant wait to try it, Want me to get some rolls, flatware, etc ?

Heady Beer
      Participant

This is a great start for food at meetings!

jake_kustan
      Participant

Brian,

Your food was beastly last night. Awesome job! Me and my gut can’t stop thinking about it! How did you incorporate beer into your recipes? Can you describe your process?

I love grilling and smoking myself and have been working two summers now on my BBQ chicken legs (dry rubbed, four hour mesquite smoked with homemade BBQ sauce). I can do about two dozen at a time and will commit to bring a batch in an upcoming meeting.

We should get a "Cooking with Beer" spot on the forum going.

Regards,

Jake

BrianK
      Participant

Jake,
      As far as beer and smoking meats, I use an injection to season the inside of the meat. Mix up a marinade and carefully inject the meat. This takes a bit of practice, especially on smaller/thinner cuts like brisket or ribs where the marinade tends too shoot out acroos the kitchen or leak out and not be absorbed. My marinade usually consists of beer and other liquid ingredients such as broth, soy sauce, vinegar, worcestershire sauce etc. Then coat the meat with oil and apply my dry rub and onto the grill to smoke. I also use one of those disposable foil pans filled with beer under the meat while it’s smoking to keep the heat moist and avoid drying out the meat. Another tip, do not re-inject the meat after it starts cooking. Contrary to what you might think, this actually draws moisture out of the center. Same goes for basting/mopping. If you choose to baste, limit it to once halfway through cooking. Any more than that and you are just washing off your dry rub and screwing up the bark formed on the outside.

I look forward to trying out your chicken legs. I smoke a lot of whole spatchcocked chickens and smoked wings are one of my favorite ways to prepare wings (a pain in the ass but well worth it in the end). I’ve found a pretty good fool proof method for smoking that just uses a charcoal grill (no special equipment required). I’ll post pics and explain the method next time I do it if anyone is interested. It’s very simple and really the only way you can fuck it up is if you leave something on there too long.

Carlo
      Participant

What else it good with smoked wings is to saute them in a pan with butter then throw the pan in the oven and baked them

jake_kustan
      Participant

Brian,

Thanks for the advice! I look at the rub as not only flavor, but forming that crust that locks in the juices. That way the meat stays moist and cooks in its own juices. So I completely agree with your comments! I like the idea of doing oil and then rub and also using a pan of beer or other liquid to keep shit even more moist. Great tips!

Carlo,

My fav. way to do wings is to simply brush some olive oil on them, cracked pepper, and sea salt then bake in the oven for an hour or so. Flip occasionally. Makes the meat taste awesome and is a little healthier. Dunk in sauce and you should be saucing your pants by the third or forth lol

Regards,

Jake

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.