The Friendly Competition Brew Off

Home Forums Club Related Topics Competitions & Events The Friendly Competition Brew Off

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      BrianK
      Participant

Just in case you were not at the meeting last night, we drew the first set of names to get this started. I’ll keep results posted here as this thing progresses. Basically it works like this: Everyone interested puts their name in one bag, as I believe everyone in attendance did last night. In another bag are the BJCP categories that we can realistically brew and package in a six week time frame (so basically no lagers, sours, meads, ciders etc). Two names are drawn and then a BJCP style and that makes a vs bracket. The winner of that match up, as chosen by the club, advances to the next round. Once a style has been brewed, it is out of rotation until the end of the contest. This will avoid the possibility of the same style being brewed multiple times. This contest has been designed to be a friendly rivalry and to potentially make you brew something outside your comfort zone (although there is the possibility that luck provides you with your favorite style). It will also allow the club to taste a variety of different beers and work on their tasting skills. One final rule, you must brew your beer specifically for this competition. Honor system here but I don’t think pulling a bottle from your cellar to submit is fair to the person competing against you who may be starting from scratch.

Rick, the brewer from Mex Italy, chose four names last night so we can get rolling. Here is our first match ups:

Brian Keeney vs Tim Sopcak category 15D Roggenbier

Mike Ross vs Chris Harvey category 6C Kolsch

BrianK
      Participant

Jeff Johns vs Matt Miller category 9E strong scotch ale

Jake Kustan vs Cale Baker category 11A Mild

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.